MUST TRY and MUST AVOID JAPANESE FOODS! Foreigners tell their opinion about food in Japan
And so many different flavors and it’s like oooh It’s amazing. It’s so horrible. I don’t recommend it. ALL parts of the chicken are all on the stick. Hey this is Cathy Cat and today I will ask the foreigners who have come to Japan what food they wanted to try before they came here and what food they said they’d rather not try. I will never try that! Let’s go and ask foreigners in Japan. Yakisoba (fried noodles) is my favorite. I loved it the first time and I will eat it for the rest of my life. Why Yakisoba? In Sweden we have the “instant noodles”. They taste like NOTHING. There is no flavor, there is no sauce. We just get a little package that’s old and disgusting. That’s our experience of noodles. And then you get here and it’s fresh, and so many different flavors. and it’s like oooh. It’s amazing. The Karage (fried chicken), we were really excited about trying! It’s still very western in that it’s basically fried chicken… It was still really good here. I wanted to try it but I had a bad view on it… Natto? Everyone hates it for some reason, like foreigners. I tried it and I actually really like it. Alright! Oh and Natto. Natto. Fermented beans? We haven’t tried it yet but they tell us we must. It is an “experience”. Kobe beef I think I want to try. Otherwise everything. Japanese sushi and uh… Ramen and yeah. We’ll have to try it.
– Have you already tried some? Yeah we have. Yesterday we ate some Ramen food. Was the Ramen up to your expectations? It was good. Definitely the food I wanted to try without a doubt. It’s my favorite food. Also Ramen for me and the Yakiniku. The grilled meat. Also… Korean BBQ. Here it’s not Korean BBQ it’s just BBQ. I am a huge Ramen fan so it was great to come here and have authentic ramen. We were pretty fortunate, we went to a couple of authentic Japanese places They make their own noodles and it’s very authentic. It’s nice to be here and be able to enjoy that and try that. We were gonna eat Sushi so we will eat a lot of Sushi. Sushi we wanted to come here for. But we’ve been in China for a while now and there is all… Ducks heads, ducks feet… so it’s lovely coming here It’s all clean and fresh.
– It looks nice. There was nothing that we saw and went URGH. It looks alright. Salads look lovely, all the salads are delicious. We went to the food market underneath the train station. It was ace. Shinjuku, I think Shinjuku. It was divine. It was all salads and fresh Sushi. The meat, the teriyaki, it was gorgeous. A real Japanese sushi. Like the REAL sushi. We have Sushi in Sweden too. But you never know because how Swedish Sushi is. So when you come here you’re like- All the different sea foods really. I like Sushi myself but There is actually alive squid, would you try that? Probably no. I am gonna try the … Fugu, pufferfish. Didn’t get round to it yet. Probably will. You will even though it’s poisonous? They cook it properly don’t they…? You have to be a specialist to be able to prepare it. yeah I will try it. We need to go to the market. I don’t know what it’s called. Tsukiji Fish Market?
– That’s the one. We need to get up early and go there. Try it all. I really wanted to try first the real sushi. Because it’s nothing like the one compared in America. And also Miso soup… and Ramen. I already ate them and they are very delicious. Love them.
– You checked all the boxes. Natto. It looks so scary. I don’t want to eat it. I am actually a vegetarian. So sometimes it’s hard here in Japan. I have seen a meat thing that looks creepy. And we can’t read anything in Japanese. Sometimes when you get the pictures, it looks a bit creepy. It’s hard to understand what it is if you can’t read it. Like the rice balls. We love the seaweed ones. But all the other pictures… What the hell is that?! It’s really hard. As a vegetarian do you find it very hard? Do you have surprise meat in your dishes? Sometimes, because I don’t know what the things are… Sometimes I don’t know if it’s meat or not. I am very surprised sometimes. Oh it IS meat… And then I have to eat it. I have seen pizzas not far from here. That I won’t try… with maybe ice cream on them and stuff. I won’t try that. No ice cream pizza. How about you? I’ll try most things. I don’t mind. In Oshima which is an island that I am living on right now… there is this fish called “Kusaya”. It stinks like… it really stinks. It has “Kusa” (smelly) in the name so it must be stinky. It’s really stinky and I tried it because … challenge…. But it’s so horrible, I don’t recommend it. People from the island really like it and they think it’s very delicious. I didn’t want to eat any animal intestines. Hearts and all that kind of stuff. But… we did. You did! Why? Where did you eat that? Little… under the train station near Ginza… We did a night tour, food tour. We went to this place where they do the grilled skewers. And then they asked if we’d like to try some and we did. – How was it?
– I probably wouldn’t eat it again. I wouldn’t have it as a weekly special but… It was a weird texture. It was chewy… You all took the challenge. But you said you wouldn’t eat it again? No… No… I would no no no Maybe the heart but not the intestine. I am not very excited about Sashimi. So I don’t really want that but we had a bit in California. I don’t think there is anything that I really thought of. Not necessarily but I don’t really like fish that much. So Sushi is a no. Maybe I will try it but… Not so keen on it?
– No. I can try many things but there is always some strange food that perhaps I don’t want to try but… – Let’s see.
– Raw horse meat? – No
– I don’t think so. That sounds a little bit… disturbing. The pufferfish. Some really want to try pufferfish but no I don’t wanna try that. Cause you could die. I am not very… keen on playing with death really. Not gonna try the puffer fish while I am here. We both don’t really like Sashimi, the raw fish but we both made it a goal to try it while we are here. Being sure that we are getting the best that we can get. And maybe develop a taste for it. She is a little bit more adventurous than me. She definitely ate more liver than I did. I didn’t have it in me to try the gizzard. I just didn’t know if I could stomach it. I was like “I don’t wanna get sick and offend these people.” And oh they gave us cartilage, chicken cartilage. All that the Yakitori stand?
– Yeah. For the Yakitori. We were like “Oh chicken on a stick” but it’s like legit … all parts of the chicken are on the stick. I was like “I don’t even know how I am supposed to eat this.” Just chew it down until its…….? It’s a texture thing for me sometimes. I am glad I tried the liver, I can say that I tried liver… I think it’s awesome that they will use all parts of the animal and eat it all. Power to them for sure. There is a type of sushi… I wanna say it’s like fish genitals or something. That’s something I don’t even care to try. Fish genitals? Not into it. Even like is it mussels, that looks like genitals I have had them and they freaked me out. Even though they tasted ok. For me it’s a texture thing but also what it looks like. Just no. It’s hard. I used to be a vegetarian so it’s hard to… Have something that seems to be so freshly dead. In a sense. I admire them for being so conscientiously open about the fact that they are eating dead animals. I find in America and Canada we try to hide that by… having everything cooked to its fullest extend. Just like charred black in a sense. So it doesn’t seem like a dead carcass. In reality we are still eating that, right? I like that they are so open about it. It’s awesome. Have you tried Natto yet? Has someone told you about Natto yet? – No what’s that?
– It’s fermented beans. They are slimy and smelly and people have them for breakfast. Is that what we had on the little tiny ones? You know the beans? The beans are already getting off so they are fermented. But you can still eat them. If you mix them they will foam up and they will bubble and smell bad. Would try that? Is it meant to taste good? It’s like Marmite, some people love it some people hate it. – Vegimite?
– Not taste wise… People love it or hate it. There is nothing inbetween. You usually have it with soy sauce to give it some flavor. So it’s soy sauce on fermented beans. I think we could try a little bit of it. Do you have some for us to try? We should do that… Its slimy and it pulls strings when you eat it. That’s one of the most random foods that are here in Japan and that usually foreigners get pushed into trying at least once. We’ll have to try it… maybe. You’re up for the challenge… good! You said Yakitori earlier. Sometimes there is liver on Yakitori, would you try that? I do not like liver personally. I have tried it… with the Yakitori… I am not a fan, still not a fan – How about you?
– I like chicken liver. So I’d give it a try. I’ve never had Yakitori chicken liver but I have had regular chicken liver so I would try it How about chicken heart? No, no heart. I think I tried the heart, it was not very good. I don’t like it. I tried it “You have to try it, you are in Japan!” So I tried it but… not my thing. – Yakitori.
– Yes I tried that. I like them. Now there is the challenge though, you can say no to it all (vegetarian). In Yakitori there is also chicken skin. Would you eat that? Chicken skin? No? No. Next one is liver! Never no no no no Heart? NO!!! Thank you! So food people would like to try and not like to try. Interesting to see, Natto and Sushi were some of those things that people were talking about and Sushi was like a plus minus thing. Some said “Yes definitely sushi, real Japan, real Japan experience!” While others were like “Actually… no thank you.” Which is interesting to see that we all still we don’t just come for the sushi, there are many other lovely dishes. Natto is the funny thing. It’s like Marmite, some love it, some hate it. Some people need to have it every day. And most foreigners do not like it. Mentioning Natto me and Endigo took a challenge in which we eat Natto and another thing I did was to ask all my colleagues to try some “Very Berry Natto” which was like… absolutely terrible… I did a video about that on my channel. Be sure to keep watching if you are interested in any of those videos. Anything you’d definitely like to eat in Japan? Or not want to eat in Japan? Let us know. Looking forward to your comments Catch you soon on Ask Japanese.